Saturday, September 8, 2012

Study Guides for exam P

After reading many posts about study guides in Actuary and Actuarial Outpost forums I put together the following review:

ASM (e-manual) $99.00 [180 days]
- Goes through the material much quicker
- It would be easier to use this manual if you already had a clear understanding of the basics and a strong calculus background.
- It helps you to master the material via tons of practice questions/exams.
- Coaching Actuaries ASM eManual: You get experience with Computer Based Testing (CBT) by having access to 20 P/1 practice exams in a CBT format.
- Buy it if you need more practice exams

ACTEX (Study Manual) $97.00
- Goes through the material at a medium rate.
- It offers more explanation/examples than ASM
- Practice exams are too easy
- Buy it if you need a hard copy to study

GUO (e-manual) $85.00
- It breaks down and simplifies the concepts for a deeper understanding.
- It provides insights and shortcuts
- Few Practice problems
- Buy it if you need shortcuts and more explanation of concepts

TIA (Online Seminar) $395.00 [$197.50 for full-time students]
- Goes into the material in depth.
- They give very clear and thorough responses to their examples.
- TIA for learning the material via good explanations of the concepts and problem-solving methods.


My Shopping Cart 

After reviewing my weaknesses and strengths I decided to begin studying with TIA because I am a visual learner. Also I'll buy the ACTEX study manual as a supplemental resource.
I'm also planning to buy ASM coaching actuaries two months before my exam because I like the idea of practicing test with CBT format.


No comments:

Post a Comment